BSC Shore Based Training Calendar
If you are unsure on the course you wish to take take a look at the Shore Based Courses and their description are available here Shore Based Course List. The icons below will take you to the various areas of training, hoovering over these will give further details.
The RYA First Aid Course is designed to teach you what to do in many of the situations where people have accidents whilst on a small craft from how to resuscitate someone to how to treat minor cuts.
This course is useful for anyone who goes out on the water and at the end of the course you will qualify for the RYA First Aid Certificate which is valid for 3 years from time of issue.
The key aims of the RYA First Aid Course are to ensure that the student is able to:
- Perform CPR and know how this differs on a drowned person
- Demonstrate how to turn a casualty into the recovery position and understand the importance of maintaining the airway
- Understand the effect of cold shock and how to treat hypothermia from immersion and exposure
- Recognise the signs and implications of reduced responsiveness in a person with a head injury
- Apply direct pressure to a wound and control bleeding.
- Recognise and treat seasickness and dehydration
- Obtain medical advice and assistance using the VHF radio
- Know how to prepare for helicopter evacuation
Course timings 09:00 – 17:00